Our excursions to Siena and San Gimignano were the highlights of our Tuscany trip. These are beautiful, quaint Tuscan towns. Our first stop was Siena.



(Above) It was nice to get some sun, even if it was chilly.




(Above) It was nice to get some sun, even if it was chilly.
(Above) Jack and Lucas having a good laugh.
One of the best activities we did in Siena was to climb up what used to be an old church bell tower and get a view of the city and the countryside.


(L) The remains of the old church bell tower, where we caught some great views. (R) Jack enjoyed climbing up and down the steep, narrow round staircases by himself.
And here are some of the views, which are probably more vibrant in the summer:
Below are some views of the Siena Cathedral from the bell tower:




(Above) Views of the cathedral from the old church bell tower.




(Above) Views of the cathedral from the old church bell tower.
(Above) Jack and Lucas on the steps outside of the cathedral




(Above) The black and white marble was really quite stunning in the cathedral interior. We haven't seen this style in any other cathedral.


(Above-right and below-left) There was a room inside the cathedral that had really old sheet music, in a form that is no longer used. I can't remember the name of it. Harmony, the music major, can explain it much better. As you can see from the photo below, it looks nothing like the music we use today.


(R) The she-wolf is apparently a famous symbol for Siena.

(Above) We went inside a small museum beneath the cathedral, where you could see remains of an older cathedral that once stood at this site. Jack and Lucas loved looking at the deep pit beneath the glass floor they were standing on.
(Harmony: The glass was so clean, it was like Indiana Jones' "Leap of Faith.")



(Above) We enjoyed walking through the old streets lined by classy, rustic buildings.

(Above) The old part of Siena is on top of a large hill. The cathedral tower can be seen in the photo above, which was taken from a spot near our parking area. There were a series of escalators that made our ascent into the old town very easy.

(Above) Here's a glimpse of the beautiful Tuscan countryside we drove through on our way to Siena. We imagine it is much more beautiful during spring and summer, but even in January, the scenery was great.
(Harmony: I would like to note that my hair looks awful in all these pictures because I couldn't bring my hair styling appliances. So I just had flat awful hair the whole time in Italy.)




(Above) The black and white marble was really quite stunning in the cathedral interior. We haven't seen this style in any other cathedral.


(Above-right and below-left) There was a room inside the cathedral that had really old sheet music, in a form that is no longer used. I can't remember the name of it. Harmony, the music major, can explain it much better. As you can see from the photo below, it looks nothing like the music we use today.
(R) The she-wolf is apparently a famous symbol for Siena.
(Above) We went inside a small museum beneath the cathedral, where you could see remains of an older cathedral that once stood at this site. Jack and Lucas loved looking at the deep pit beneath the glass floor they were standing on.
(Harmony: The glass was so clean, it was like Indiana Jones' "Leap of Faith.")



(Above) We enjoyed walking through the old streets lined by classy, rustic buildings.
(Above) The old part of Siena is on top of a large hill. The cathedral tower can be seen in the photo above, which was taken from a spot near our parking area. There were a series of escalators that made our ascent into the old town very easy.
(Above) Here's a glimpse of the beautiful Tuscan countryside we drove through on our way to Siena. We imagine it is much more beautiful during spring and summer, but even in January, the scenery was great.
(Harmony: I would like to note that my hair looks awful in all these pictures because I couldn't bring my hair styling appliances. So I just had flat awful hair the whole time in Italy.)





8 comments:
Cool photos of Sienna from the tower. I still can't get over the absence of people - makes it seem much nicer.
My brother's oldest daughter is named Siena. He served there for a while on his mission, and named her after the beautiful city.
Great blog Aaron. Flat hair, Harm. Pixie's don't have anything but flat hair. What is Tuscan?
Harmony, I like your hair :-) And the pics too--looks like a fun time!
Funny comment on your hair, Harmony- I was thinking that I really liked it as I looked through the photos!
I like your hair too, Harmony!
When I read your hair disclaimer I was confused because I had JUST been thinking about how great your hair looks!
I loved how DESERTED Tuscany appears to be in January! The weather was amazing when we were there in June, but I would gladly endure a little cold to avoid the crush of crowds. Well done, White family!
Post a Comment