This is the last of the recent deluge of blog posts about our Spring trips. We only have a few weeks left before we move, so we're done with traveling until then. On our first full day in Switzerland, we visited the Berner Oberland region by Interlaken. The scenery was amazing! Since the cable lift we wanted to take up into the mountains near the Junfrau was closed, we opted for another hike at a lower altitude, but it was still beautiful and probably much better suited for the kids. As I mentioned in the last post, we forgot our camera on the first day, so we ended up borrowing the Pettys' camera for some shots and have used some here that they took on their much higher quality camera. Unfortunately, it was a little hazy that day, so the mountains in the distance do not appear very clear.
(Above) The three peaks in the distance are part of the Jungfrau
(Above) A view of the edge of Interlaken in the valley below
(Above) Snapshots taken along the trail.
(Above) They actually behaved for this shot
(Above) Free range child
After our hike, we proceeded to Gimmelwald, a tiny village with a population of about 120 that is only accessible by cable car. It felt like a truly authentic, pristine Swiss village that was not overrun by tourists and trinket-pitching souvenir shops. There was hardly anyone else up there while we strolled around late in the day. The deep cliffs and high peaks were stunning.
We spent Easter Sunday with the Bergs, Frank's sister's family. The kids loved the Easter egg hunt, although I think there were some fights over Easter eggs.



8 comments:
How do you just whip out an alphorn? :)
I remember being in this area on tour. It was one of my favorite places we went. I wish we could have spent more time there.
Great job on the blog. Thank you very much. "I rock" is my new desktop wallpaper.
Yeah was the horn different pieces put together or what? I mean come on you can't exactly carry that thing in one piece on your back! Did you make any recordings of it with your camera?
Beautiful photos of Switzerland! I hope you can return some day and take the train that travels through the mountain to the glacier on top of the Jungfrau. It is amazing...I don't know if Aaron remembers the sled dogs at the top.
Your Switzerland photos are beautiful! Thank you for sharing! It looks like an amazing trip! You sure have seen the world while overseas. I hope you are excited for your next post! :)
The alphorn came apart into 3 or 4 pieces. They had a carrying case for it.
I love the "free range child"! We had a great time, glad you came with us - now we just need to plan our next trip!
that countryside is GORGEOUS! (sing-song voice)
Post a Comment