Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween Memories

**UPDATED WITH PICTURES**

Every Halloween growing up was spent with my Grandma Higgs. She loves Halloween. We'd go over to her house and and she'd come trick-or-treating with us in her neighborhood. She always had at least 5 carved lit pumpkins in her front window, along with plenty of cute autumn decorations. Mom and sometimes Aunt Linda or Aunt Karen would come trick-or-treating, while Grandpa and Dad stayed at the house to hand out candy and talk. After trick-or-treating we'd go back to G&G's house, dump out all our candy on the floor, organize it, and then trade with each other. We had some special Halloween songs we sang too. Not a Halloween goes by that I don't remember Grandma and all the good times we had. (Wow, getting choked up as I write this.) I will always remember her on Halloween.

Here are some pictures of my siblings and me. My two cousins are also in the bottom pictures. Just looking at this now, I didn't realize I had that big pumpkin bucket from the time I was 2. I used that through my whole trick-or-treating career. (In most of these pictures you see the familiar green carpet = Grandma's house.)




And here are some pictures of the Halloween Jack and I got to spend with Grandma in 2007.


I have been a bit homesick in the past months. I think this season is making it worse. Holidays to me mean FAMILY. Holidays in Germany hardly feel like holidays at all.

6 comments:

Brittany H said...

So cute. Jack is so little and your hair is so long! Crazy since I never knew you guys like that.

I hope you don't get too homesick this season. We miss you!

Anonymous said...

of course, you remember the Halloween you got all dressed up in your costume, got to Grandma's house and began puking it. The other kids went trick or treating while yo laid on the floor. But, they shared.

Jaimie said...

Oh... I want to cry too. I will also always think of Grandma on Halloween too. That was so fun.
I miss you.

Chelsea said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics of you guys when you were little in Halloween costumes. So cute.
I'm missing my family too. Since this baby is due on New Year's Eve we probably won't be going to Idaho this year. :-(
Thanks for sharing. Malachi Loves Jack's Tigger costume. He was Tigger last year.

BrookieT said...

I also love the retro pics. I know how you feel about the holidays- I felt that while on my mission, and still a bit now because we can't afford to travel across the country this year. Bummer!

Mandy said...

I loved the pics of you and your siblings when you were little! I also have very fond memories of going to my grandma's house on Halloween. We did that every year when I was little.