Aaron, the boys, and I took a short day trip to Palmyra, NY, a significant site in our church's history. I have visited Palmyra several times before with my family growing up. I remarked to Aaron how strange it was to drive 1.5 hours and arrive at the Hill Cumorah, when growing up this was the destination after 1-week's worth of driving across the country from Idaho.
If you are unfamiliar with Palmyra, this is the place where young Joseph Smith lived. Here he received the First Vision in what is now called the Sacred Grove. At the Hill Cumorah he recovered the ancient record on golden plates which was translated into the Book of Mormon.
If you are unfamiliar with Palmyra, this is the place where young Joseph Smith lived. Here he received the First Vision in what is now called the Sacred Grove. At the Hill Cumorah he recovered the ancient record on golden plates which was translated into the Book of Mormon.
The top of the Hill Cumorah
(R) Preparing for the upcoming Hill Cumorah Pageant.
Family photo in the Visitors Center. I loved seeing the Christus statue with the Sacred Grove in the background, a visual reminder that Christ appeared here.
The Palmyra Temple
I love this temple. I have only been inside once, when Aaron's sister was married. All the outside windows are stained glass depicting the nearby Sacred Grove, and from inside one room of the temple you can see the Sacred Grove.
(L) Walking out of the Sacred Grove, a barn is in the foreground and the Smith frame home is in the background.
(R) Looking out the window of the Smith's log cabin (the "exact space") toward the Sacred Grove.



3 comments:
The "exact space" seems like forever ago. Can't wait for you to get here.
How cool! I want to go there, and in that temple. Dang.
Looks like a fun day trip. My brother-in-law Tim might be involved as an asst. director for the pageant this year, since they live in Buffalo now.
Post a Comment