Germans dress their babies in so much clothing, even in warm weather. The hospital was no exception. Look at the number of layers they put on this child! I call this his snow suit. Keep in mind it's June and there is no AC.
Jack came to visit.
(L) Dinner at the German hospital. Breakfast consisted of 2 hard rolls with some butter and jam, and a cup of plain, unsweetened yogurt. Lunch was a cafeteria-quality hot meal. Dinner was sliced bread, definitely the worst meal of the day. For breakfast and dinner the only beverages available were tea, coffee and water. For lunch I was able to get some juice. (R) the view out my room window. This hospital is set back in a forest and so pretty.
(L) Ready to go home; (R) us in front of the hospital
Our first family picture upon arriving home.
Other interesting things about my German hospital experience:
*I wore my own clothes the entire time, including during delivery.
*When the nursery wanted the baby, they'd call and ask me to bring him up. During the first day or two I'd then ask them to come get him!
*The day after delivery a lady came in with a list of exercises they wanted me to do. Right!
*I delivered while kneeling up. Makes sense to have the help of gravity. I'm sure that would have made Jack's delivery shorter.
*They didn't bathe the baby until 2 hours after birth when I was moved out of the delivery room. They just left us to hold him those 2 hours, although the yuckiness had only been wiped off with a towel.
*We were left to guess conversions at first since he was measured in grams and centimeters.
*Currently in Germany they do not circumcise baby boys until they are at least 4 weeks old. We will probably take him to the American base to have that done sooner.
Significance of baby's name:
Lucas is a popular name here in Germany, and it is also the middle name of one of Aaron's best friends, Ben Boruchowitz. Brian is after my dad, Brian Higgs.



5 comments:
What a beautiful hospital! I can't believe all that stuff they wanted you to do. I guess there's no wrong way or right way- just a different way! Which do you prefer?
I thought the same thing - After just having spent time in Germany how funny that the hospital is so beautiful too.
I found all those differences very interesting.
You delivered kneeling. OK that sounds painful to me but I could see how the gravity thing would work. That is so different.
He really is a beautiful boy!
Good post. :) That's a nice picture in front of your house. I suppose it's not bad that they dress them so warm. At my hospital we wrap them in two blankets. They've been inside in a very warm environment so maybe that's why they do it. I love those sweaters though. So cute! It's so exciting that he's here. I love little babies. Can't wait to see you guys!
I love how many clothes they put him in, changing diapers must be a nightmare. I can't believe that you had to take him up to the nursery yourself, I wouldn't have been able to do it. How long were you in the hospital? I'm glad you are doing well. He is one of the cutest babies I've seen...except for Liam of course (I'm biased that way)! Congrats!
Great information! That's too bad about the food - at Jessi's hospital in Switzerland she said the food was amazing - I guess not so in Germany.
Post a Comment