"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas just like the ones I used to know..."
"I'll be home for Christmas...if only in my dreams."
This is the first holiday I have not been able to go back to Idaho to be with my family, and it's been hard (especially since this is my little brother's last Christmas at home before he deploys to Afghanistan). These Christmas songs describe just how I feel. These songs were popular during World War II (my favorite era of history) when many Americans were away from their families. I've found that for me, holidays really are meaningless without family to share them with. Thankfully, Aaron's dad is coming here on Christmas Day, which I think will save me.
We wish you all a very happy holiday and new year!
(Sorry this is kind-of a gloomy post. Life is not all roses, right?)

(L) all my siblings and me; (R) my parents and me on a day of snowmobiling


(L) G&G Higgs always come over on Christmas Eve; (R) tarping, a Higgs family tradition


(L) During the holidays we play games for HOURS! Gosh, I will miss that. Pictured are all 4 of us, plus my dad. There's nothing better than having all of us together. I am the only one that's not there this year. (R) everyone except new SIL, Brittany



2 comments:
No need to apologize for a gloomy post -- anyone in your shoes would feel the same way. I'm glad Bill is able to make the trek to you guys -- I'm sure things will feel more Christmas-y once you have visitors. My parents picked up some special Christmas traditions from their sabbaticals in Europe, many of which we still do as a family at Christmastime (like beef fondue). We love you guys and wish we could see you soon!
wow, if I had wonderful family traditions like you do, I would have a harder time here than I do! No wonder you are having a tough time--it looks like you have the perfect holiday memories and traditions! Well, I am sure glad I had you here to share Christmas Eve with :-)
Post a Comment